Thanksgiving fail..

These past three days with my family have not gone how I expected them too. Our Thanksgiving didn't even seem like a thanksgiving. Every year we've gone to Nanny's, everyone hung around in the kitchen while Nanny and Mimi cooked and we would all chip in a helping hand. Papa would lose his shirt, yell about the door being open, and then tell ongoing stories about the most pointless yet interesting things. The little ones would beg to go on the golf cart, and Peepaw would set up a tent and camp out in the cold.. But this year was different. There was no Nanny, no Papa, no slaving in the kitchen, no pointless stories, no golf cart.. Of course, Peepaw slept outside still.. But, this year our thanksgiving was in Austin, not Killeen. It was just, dull.. Everything a thanksgiving shouldn't be.. If you were a friend that came over to "enjoy" it with us, you'd say it was anything but dull, but I think we'd all agree that our holidays will never be the same without Nanny; they'll just be dull.. 

Thanksgiving day we went to the A&M/UT football game. (gig em). So we had our thanksgiving on Friday instead.. Which Nanny would have been completely against. But we did it anyway..  

But even if that was the situation, with Nanny here it all would have been so much different. I just know it. I hate this.

And now, I'm laying here. I can't sleep, I'm watching miss congenitality one and two. Doing anything to find a laugh. And then I hear screaming and crying from my cousins room. Scared the hell out of me. Ran in there and all I could hear my baby cousin saying through her tears and her fear was, "I want my Nanny"... I could not take it. I gave her my Timmy (comfort pillow) kissed her head, tucked her in, and walked out. She stopped crying just as soon as I started crying.. 

I've never missed someone more than I miss my Nanny. I've never had to deal with something like this in a healthy way and I don't know how much longer I can do this. I'm weak. I'm broken. I'm hurting. And I'm about to hit rock bottom. I miss you, Nanny. I miss your smile, your laugh, your sense of humor, your scarves, your soft little jackets, your hugs, your voice; everything. I love you, Nanny..... 


Ps. 56:3 

1 comment:

  1. You CAN do it (Phil 4:13), even though it hurts. As CS Lewis says, "The pain now is part of the joy then." Negating the pain negates the joy.

    ReplyDelete